Registration to social security is free and mandatory for all students in France, whether French or international. Here's everything you need to know to go through the process.
What this means:
- If you already were a student last year and are continuing your studies:
You are attached to the CPAM (Caisse primaire d'assurance maladie, Health insurance Office) of your place of residence.whether, wether you are a national or international student.
You have just to reminder to update your information (postal address, RIB, attending physician) on your Ameli account.
- If you are a foreign student enrolling for the first time in a French higher education institution:
To be reimbursed for your health care expenses, you need to register with France's heath care system "L'assurance maladie", this is free on charge.
- Sign up on the student-dedicated website once you have registered at your institue of higher education : https://etudiant-etranger.ameli.fr (available in French, Spanish, English,..).
- Create an online personal account on ameli.fr once you have received your French Social Security number and apply for your health insurance card ("Carte Vitale")
- Declare you primary care physician ("médecin traitant") when you go in for your first appointment
- To maximize your heath care reimbursements, take out the supplementary health care coverage of your choice.
(Basic Health Insurance reimburses you 70% of your health expenses, provided you consult your attending care physician first. In order to complete your reimbursements, you can take out a complementary health insurance which will cover the remaining 30%.)
If you encounter any difficulty in registering, you can call 3646 and ask for an appointment at the local health insurance office (CPAM) in your place of residence.
If you wish to exchange in English with your correspondent at the CPAM, a special telephone number is available: 09.74.75.36.46.
Are you a foreign student from a member state of the European Union or Switzerland?
You remain affiliated to the social security system of your country and are not obliged to join the CPAM (Caisse primaire d'assurance maladie) of your place of residence.The Campus Life Contribution (CVEC)
Since the start of the 2018 academic year, students in classical engineering training or apprenticeship training will be required to pay the new " campus life contribution". This charge has been introduced in order to support students' integration as well as their social, cultural, health and sports services on campus.
The amount for the year 2020-2021 is fixed at 92 euros.
All students must provide proof of payment of this contribution before their enrolment at IMT Atlantique.
You will be able to pay (payment or exemption) from July 1st at: cvec.etudiant.gouv.fr/
To save time, you can now create your account at: messervices.etudiant.gouv.fr.
For more information, consult the digital portal of student life and services