Ranked among the top 400 universities in the world in THE World University Ranking 2020, IMT Atlantique is internationally recognized for the quality of its research and education. On its three campuses, this elite technological university welcomes students of 70 different nationalities who are attracted by its educational excellence and the conditions recognized by the Welcome to France label from Campus France. IMT Atlantique is also developing an ambitious international strategy, offering future engineers access to its network of 190 partner universities.
Since its inception, the university has relied on cutting-edge research and training, which has enabled it to rapidly acquire international renown. IMT Atlantique is listed in 4 disciplines in the Shanghai, QS and THE 2020 rankings, and is ranked 59th among universities under 50 years old. [ see the rankings ]
Thanks to this recognition, the university is at the heart of many strategic international partnerships and is part of prestigious European and international research programs. Internationalization strategy is also at the heart of our students’ education. Each year, IMT Atlantique increases in its attractiveness to students from across the globe, offering future engineers the opportunity to open up to the world through English language programs and by encouraging exchange programs and dual degrees.
IMT Atlantique attracts students from all over the world
The Brest, Nantes and Rennes campuses welcome around 1,800 students, of whom around 40% are foreign nationals from 70 countries. This diversity translates into a unique cultural and linguistic mix that allows students to learn from each other throughout the year, whether in the classroom, in group projects or more informally in student societies and university life. The attractiveness of IMT Atlantique is based on the excellence of its education, but also on the conditions offered to students.
The university has just obtained the Welcome to France label
Evaluated on all indicators - information, welcome facilities, education program, support for campus life and accommodation, post-graduation follow-up, IMT Atlantique obtained 3 stars, the maximum level, and was awarded the Bienvenue en France label for a period of 4 years.
- A French Summer School, every summer, which combines intensive French courses, cultural activities and sports for 4 weeks. Organized on the Nantes campus, it welcomes students from all backgrounds.
- An integration week offered each September, with days set aside for administrative formalities (setting up bank accounts, registering for social security and health insurance, etc.).
- FLE courses given by a specialized teaching team, accessible whatever the level of French, and whatever the students’ background.
- A wide range of courses taught in English: the majority of Masters courses are taught 100% in English in order to be accessible to international students.
- A simplified application procedure, as everything is done online.
- A FAQ section on the website, specially geared towards international students, answering questions ranging from the choice of study program to the issues relating to life on campus.
- Suitable accommodation, with all IMT Atlantique campuses offering accommodation located near the classrooms.
Erasmus +, digitalization to promote inclusion
The European Commission has renewed IMT Atlantique's Erasmus + charter, awarding it the maximum score of 100/100 for the period 2021-2027. The new Erasmus + program supported by the European Union has doubled its budget, with 26 billion euros of funding for the period 2021-2027. In particular, it involves the digitalization of all student management processes, from recruitment to graduation. The aim is to foster inclusion for people for whom exchange programs can prove challenging (due to disability or financial difficulties, but also for people living on islands, etc.), but also to promote student participation in actions for the wider European community and society at large.
An educational offer open to the international stage
IMT Atlantique has developed a truly international strategy for its courses, requiring students to learn two foreign languages and offering Master's level programs in English. The university encourages students to travel, in the form of internships, but also in the context of academic stays at partner universities - semester or year-long courses, dual degrees - or humanitarian work. Future engineers have access to a large network of more than 190 partner institutions throughout the world. This network is constantly expanding. In the future, students will be able to continue their training at the University of Adelaide in Australia, which is internationally recognized in the field of AI, or at the prestigious McGill University in Montreal, Canada.
Highly internationalized research
12% of the teaching and research staff and nearly 60% of the doctoral students at IMT Atlantique are from abroad, and research contributes to IMT Atlantique's diverse reputation with 54% of international co-publications. Here again, the university relies on collaborations with the best scientific centers and institutions in the world.
The university participates in numerous European and international research programs, including :
- ASSISTANT (Artificial Intelligence for Manufacturing)
- Lowcomote (Training the Next Generation of Experts in Scalable Low-Code Engineering Platforms)
- STRONG-2020 (strong interaction at the frontier of knowledge)
- international collaboration in nuclear research (CERN),
- the international laboratory IRL CROSSING with Australia
- international research consortia chaires (Australie, Japon, USA)
Read the press release (PDF)
by Pierre-Hervé VAILLANT