Measurement and Analysis Service
or Radioactivity and Trace Elements
COMBINE INNOVATION WITH EXPERTISE !
The Measurement and Analysis Service for Radioactivity and Trace Elements (Service de Mesure et d’Analyse de la Radioactivité et des éléments Traces, known as SMART) was created in 1994. It originally began within a joint research unit (SUBATECH - UMR 6457) which includes IMT Atlantique Bretagne-Pays de la Loire (CNRS-IN2P3) and the University of Nantes, with the support of Armines for the contractual management of research.
Thanks to its experienced team of about twenty people, SMART offers a complete range of services, including the following: site sampling, analyses and expertise in the field of radioactivity measurement. SMART has been recognized by COFRAC for its a high level of competence since 1998.
SMART has a complete range of equipment adapted to the pre-treatment of your solid or liquid samples to search for specific natural or artificial radionuclides.
>For radiation detection, SMART’s range of high-performance measurement equipment is among the most complete ranges available: gamma/X spectrometry chains, alpha spectrometry chains, liquid scintillation counters, and proportional gas meters. It also has at its disposal an ICP-MS and a high-resolution ICP-MS for the analysis of metals (uranium, thorium, etc.).
What we can offer to meet your needs
SMART quantifies a large number of radionuclides at very low detection levels:
- gamma emitters (Y) natural (234Th, 210Pb, 214Pb, 228Ac, 212Pb, 235U...) and artificial (60Co, 137Cs/137mBa, 131I...)
- X-ray emitters : 93Mo, 59Ni
- Alpha emitters (a): is: isotopes of uranium, plutonium, americium, curium, polonium
- Beta Emitters (ß): TOL, 3H, 14C, 63Ni, 55Fe, 36CI, 90Sr, 151Sm, 41Ca, 241Ca, 99Tc
- Gross alpha activity (ag) and gross beta activity bêta (ßg)
SMART is able to analyze these elements in a wide range of samples:
- Soil / Sediment
- Aerosol filters / Scrubbers
- Industrial products (oils, metals, concrete, etc.)
- Waste from landfill sites
- Others (on request)
Our areas of expertise:
- Environmental monitoring
Impact study, environmental monitoring, radioecological study. For CLI, associations, design offices, nuclear facilities, regulatory authorities (ASN, DREAL), municipal authorities, etc
- Effluent and smear analysis
Release controls, source controls, contamination estimation. For health care facilities (hospitals), research institutions, industrialists, etc.
- Waste analysis / dismantling
Industrial dies. For the nuclear industry, technical engineering departments, engineering consultancy firms, etc.
- Radiological Risk Mapping and Assessment
For the nuclear industry, engineering departments, engineering consultancy firms, mining operators, landfills, etc.
- Analysis of biological matrices
Drinking water, food. For analysis laboratories, Regional health agency (French ARS), municipal authorities, etc.
SMART : right there with you, on site
Sampling and external expertise
The SMART service has a team of samplers, equipped with suitable equipment, to carry out your sampling and expert assessments on site (initial status, periodic monitoring).
- Samples for radioecological study
- Samples for environmental monitoring
- Mapping on industrial sites
- Waste characterization on Technical Landfill Site