Subatech : Laboratory of Subatomic Physics and related Technologies
Laboratory website: http://www-subatech.in2p3.fr/fr/
Subatech is a joint research laboratory (UMR 6457) affiliated to three supervising administrations: CNRS (French National Centre for Scientific Research) - IN2P3 (French national institute of nuclear and particle physics), IMT Atlantique, University of Nantes. The fields of expertise, in both fundamental and applied research, and the societal issues are:
- The High Energy Universe
- Nuclear energy and the environment, societal challenges
- Nuclear energy and health
Staff numbers in 2016:
- 186 people, including 130 permanent staff
- 8 research teams
- 5 supporting departments
- Department of Measure and Analysis of Radioactivity and Trace Elements (SMART)
1 - High Energy Universe
- Plasma – Study of the plasma of quarks and gluons, from a state of matter that existed a few micro-seconds after the Big-Bang. ALICE detector at LHC/CERN.
- Theory - Study of numerous fields of the physics of nuclei and particles during their interaction, within a wide range of energy.
- Xénon - Direct research of dark matter, XENON1T experimentation.
- Neutrino - Oscillation, sterile neutrinos, mass hierarchy.
- Nuclear Structure and Energy – Simulation of nuclear reactors and data.
- Astroparticles – Study of ultra-high energy cosmic rays (CODALEMA).
2 - Nuclear energy and the environment: societal challenges
- PRISMA - The use of X-rays or particle beams for non-destructive control, in collaboration with the ARRONAX cyclotron and the ECND-PDL (Non-destructive evaluation and control, Pays de la Loire Region) skills hub.
- RADIOCHEMISTRY - Storage of radioactive waste, radionuclides and the environnement, with the OSUNA observatory, radiolysis
- SMART department - radionuclides in the environment
- Nuclear power scenario in the energy transition and non-proliferation. With the SSG (Social Sciences and Management) department of IMT Atlantique Nantes
- Radiobiology and production and chemical research of new radionuclides, in particular astatine 211 and Sc44m/Sc44 (the PRISMA and RADIOCHEMISTRY teams), and Pb212 (BPI CARAT project).
- Nuclear medical imaging, development of a gamma 3 camera. Collaboration with ARRONAX, the CRCNA (Cancer Research Centre of Nantes-Angers) and the doctors of ICO (cancer institute of western France) is supported by the Labex IRON lab and the ARRONAX PLUS team.