The Department of Energy and Environmental Systems (DSEE) develops its research and teaching activities in the field of eco-technologies for energy and the environment, and more specifically in methods of energy production from waste materials, the optimisation of energy systems in interaction with their environment and methods of eliminating water and air pollutants and gases purification.
Fields of Research
The DSEE's research section is an integral part of UMR CNRS 6144 GEPEA (comprising CNRS, the University of Nantes, ONIRIS and IMT Atlantique Nantes Campus) through its involvement in three of the UMR's fives of research teams: TEAM: Treatment Water Air Metrology, VERTE: Energy and Resources Recovery of Residues and Emission Treatment and OSE: Optimization – Systems – Energy. The DSEE is also part of the FR CNRS 2488 IRSTV (Institute of research in urban science and technology) research federation, working on federating projects such as the "Durable Urban Project", "Urban soil" and "Urban Micro-climates and Energy". Lastly, the DSEE contributes to the "Energy and Methodology Engineering" field of the M.I.N.E.S. Carnot Institute. The DSEE enjoys many international partnerships, particularly in the context of mobility programmes (Hubert Curien Partnerships - PHC), scientific collaboration (ECOS), European research projects and a European doctoral programme (SELECT+).
TEAM: Treatment Water Air Metrology Our work covers applied methods of water and air treatment as well as purification of energy-carrying gases. The scientific and technological obstacles revolve around transfer/reaction phenomena and their optimisation at solid-fluid interfaces, along with interactions between pollutants.
The research themes are applied to:
- treatment of indoor air regarding VOCs and aerosols (PM10, PM2.5 and micro-organisms): adsorption, photocatalytic oxidation, filtration
- treatment of industrial exhaust gases (gaseous components, aerosols, combustion fumes): bio-filters, bioscrubbers, filtration
- water treatment: wetland, sand filtration,, greywater reuse
- pollutant transfer: cross-contamination, confinement, deposition and re-suspension
VERTE: Energy and Resources Recovery of Residues and Emission Treatment Work includes optimisation of energy systems in interaction with their environment, both in terms of consumption and managing environmental impacts, and exploiting biowaste and industrial waste for energy production by low power devices for local use.
Research themes are also applied on different levels and concern:
- thermochemical methods (pyrolysis, gasification, hydrothermal liquefaction), chemical methods (transesterifcation) and biological methods applied to the production of liquid or gaseous fuels.
- the characterisation of alternative fuels with regard to the composition of waste matter
- the adaptation of conversion systems (motors, boilers...) to fuels
OSE: Optimization – Systems – Energy
- Evaluation of sustainable energy systems for an area integrating energy and/or environmental analysis.
2016 key figures
27 national and international peer-reviewed magazine articles
Staff members: 70 people including