Combining digital technology and energy science for the transformation of society and industry through training, research and innovation.
We are at the intersection of two worlds: the business world and the realm of higher education. Both of these areas are in transition, in a context of increasing globalisation: the digital revolution has led to profound transformation in society and industry. The French higher education sector must ensure its presence on the international scene, at a time when energy and environmental issues have taken on major societal importance.
We are also at the intersection of two stories: the stories of two schools created fifteen years apart. Since their beginnings they have gone on to fulfil their missions, contributing to the nation’s economic development and international influence through training,
research and innovation.
We have chosen to join forces in creating a new school, combining digital technology, energy and environmental sciences, and able to contribute to developments in industry and society by training managers (engineers, MSc, PhD) who are active agents of this transformation.
Deliberate, concerted advancement and constant forward thinking, have always been a driving force behind our dynamism, as has our relationship with the Ministry of Industry. On January 1st 2017 we created the first "Mines-Télécom" school of IMT, which became
one of the top ten engineering schools in France – a school endowed with first rate research potential. We are committed to being a multi-site school, reflecting the reality of today's world; a school deeply rooted in its local regions and able to contribute to their development; a school conscious of its environmental and societal responsibility; a school which trains managers capable of understanding and mastering complex, highly interconnected systems of the future, by combining their knowledge of systems and of the networks connecting them.
This is the vision that we wish to share with all of our stakeholders.
Six strategic orientations for IMT Atlantique Bretagne - Pays de la Loire
- To create an interactive, agile, innovative and creative school
- To train agents for change, who are recognised for:
- their scientific and technical aptitude
- their systemic understanding of societal issues
- their entrepreneurial spirit and objectivity
- their grasp of collaborative work, both in networks and remotely
- their intercultural and interpersonal skills
- their sense of responsibility
- To conduct ambitious research that responds to social issues and favours responsible economic development
- To offer companies a comprehensive partnership in our areas of expertise
- To be the benchmark establishment of French higher education on the international scene in combining energy and digital technology
- To be an example of voluntary commitment in serving our regions and to contribute to their transformation
Strategic Plan 2018-2023
The School's strategic plan was developed in line with the IMT Strategic Plan. It follows on from the strategic transition plan that marked the first two years of the new school. The construction of the strategic plan, which began in September 2017, took place over one year, and had 4 phases: information, consultation, co-construction, communication.
Staff, students, alumni, academic and institutional partners, as well as representatives from the business world were involved in the various consultations. Working from the remarks made by the School Board on 30 March 2018, the strategic plan has been structured according to 2 ambitions and 1 vector, broken down into 13 objectives supporting the vision and ambition of the School.
1st ambition: to be a leader in digital, energy and environmental transitions
- To build and carry out a Research / Training / Innovation project, a marker of our role as part of IMT and the Ministry of Industry and Electronic Communications.
- To successfully deploy new engineering training (from recruitment to graduation) and get our graduates into employment.
- To propose a global partnership offer to companies in our fields of expertise.
- To develop SDSR (Sustainable Development and Social Responsibility) actions throughout the School.
- To become a centre of expertise in engineering training and research, in partnership with Ensta Bretagne.
- To seize development opportunities on our 3 campuses (Brest, Nantes and Rennes).
2nd ambition: to be recognized internationally as a world-class Technological University
- To implement the conditions for research excellence in the fields of digital, energy and the environment.
- To develop the international dimension of our students and graduates by relying on dual degrees and mobility programs.
- To develop and promote attractive training offers for international students.
- To encourage and promote interculturality at the heart of the campuses.
A vector: building IMT Atlantique, with all stakeholders
- To build our campus of the future
- To develop management and collaboration methods as well as the tools we need to work in our multi-site context.
- To implement a forward-looking management approach to both jobs and skills.
- To develop a quality of life policy at IMT Atlantique.
- To promote IMT Atlantique (promotion, communication and marketing), both at the school and at within IMT.
Each objective has a coordinator, or co-coordinator, an action plan and specific indicators. Validated by the School Board on 8 June 2018, the strategic plan was implemented on 1 September 2018 and is subject to annual monitoring by the School Board.